Wednesday, September 28, 2011

September's UFO's

Pocket's and Hood are on!The next time I sew laminated cotton I'll make sure to purchase an appropriate foot for it. My Pfaff 2140 has been doing great, but it hasn't been easy. Already bent 1 needle, main motor blocked several times.
Above Pictures of back lining: I got the back lining completed. I love how to embroidery turned out. It goes really well with the jacket fabric. My daughter loves it to and that's a bonus because lately she loves nothing!

Here's the Amy Butler Rain Jacket I've been meaning to finish. It's made from laminate cotton. I'll be working on this project for the rest of September. It's rainy season now, and my daughter has been pestering me to finish this jacket! I'd like to find some more of this fabric so I can cover an Umbrella. If anyone has 1/2 yard or so, and would like to sell it please let me know!

Thursday, July 28, 2011

S2556 Leather Vest, View B

So my next step is to redraft the pattern for a smaller chest. The pattern does not have the chest size we need. I've not done this before. It will be a learning curve!I'm not even sure where to start but I do have a ton of books on the subject, and at least one kit for drafting. I have all the supplies. I have drafted patterns before so I do not see it being that difficult.

 The 2 photos above are of her (left) and the vest on her dress form (right). Her dress form has a chest, and I haven't had time to saw them off. As you can see the vest fits the dress form almost perfectly. This leads me to believe the vest is simply too large in the breast area.

This is my latest sewing project. S2556. I did NOT make a muslin, and that was a huge mistake. As you can see above, the vest turned out to be absolutely huge on her.  Luckily I have enough leather for 1 more round.

S3850 View C

 Well we're just about done with the sample. We decided to switch to using the denim we're making the shorts from for our sample. All that's left is the waist, fly, and I think pockets. I'm having trouble with the fly. Since this is my first time making denim jeans or pants I have no idea what I'm doing. I do not understand the button fly thing at all. Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to tackle it. The color is off on my camera, and I  haven't figured out how to change it. The true color of these shorts is a checkered navy/grey denim cotton.

I think this time around the fit is a lot better. We're going to go ahead and start on the real fabric now. Luckily I have 4 yards of the chosen fabric, and these shorts take a tiny bit of fabric. I'd say maybe 1/2 yard even though the pattern says 1 yard for 60" wide size 4.

 She made her sample from a thing muslin fabric. I think the fit is almost right. This is actually the 2nd try. the first she couldn't slide past her knees. They were VERY small. Good thing we decided to draft samples before sewing the garment.
DD's still on her sewing binge. This time she's making S3850. I've had help her a lot with this one, as jeans are difficult to make. She's above she's drafting a new pattern from S3850, so we don't have to cut the original pattern. We're using Swedish sewing paper. I love Swedish sewing paper because it's see thru, and you can sew through it.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Self Drafted Leggings

My daughter has the sewing bug. She designed these leggings all herself! The only thing I did was install the waistband. I think they turned out actually very well. I guess she has inherited the family gift of sewing!

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Junior Rain Jacket

Prepping the muslin sample. The sample has been completed, and we're now on the real item. The rain jacket will be made from laminated cotton. We're using Amy Butler "rainy days" pattern. I love this pattern because there are multiple sizes inside the envelope, and I will be able to make an additional jacket for myself. This jacket is for my daughter.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Updated Pictures: Spring/Summer Wardrobe

What's left is a net T-shirt, richelieu T-shirt, another tank, a gold sequin vest, and a laminated cotton raincoat. I've been photoing DD wearing the items so I can post them in action at the end.

New yellow T-shirt with decorative symetrical flowers as the focal point.

The waist band (above picture) is done without any elastic. It's a new concept for me, as I've always been really bad with waistbands
I ended up changing my SWAP this year to something simplier. I'm now doing a SWAP for my daughter, who's turning 12 next month. It's a Spring/Summer SWAP. The goal is to create most of what she'll be wearing this summer. Progress has been slow, and all items are due April 30th. I'm not sure I'll make it, but I am a fighter, and won't quit. I'm not a quiter.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Indigo Junction IJ885

Update 3/9/2011
I purchased some nifty 34 mm buttons for the front, and the snaps. Have no idea what I'll do for the back buttons yet.

I caved...I splurged. Indigo Junction here I come,

I chose the Chinois Coat for it's diversity. It looks comfy, and it looks roomy. I may add a lining. I'm thinking a light baby blue or dark brown lining. The fabric I chose for the coat is laminated cotton by Windham, Fabrics. I'm not sure if I'm doing the long or short coat, but I plan to add a hood.